View Single Post
Old 26 Aug 2004, 17:36 (Ref:1078297)   #44
John McIlroy
Rookie

John McIlroy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi all,

Why did we print it? For the reasons I outlined in my leader column. But when people on this thread have stated that they apparently don't even look when there's an accident (I know I certainly do), then I didn't expect it to receive a positive response from ten-tenths users.

Is it sensationalist? It probably is. Does it celebrate death? No.

Yes, I will admit it, it's probably designed to attract readers who'll pick the magazine off the shelf and get interested in motorsport. I'm not really about to apologise for that - as I've said here countless times before, we are a business and have to exist as such. Encouraging people to pick you off the shelf is just a part of that - hence the flourescent orange.

As for our relations to founding editors, I'm afraid that I can boast neither an intricate knowledge of transmission systems or a deerstalker. But I do care passionately about the title. That is, pure and simple, the only reason why I have even attemped to reply to the now-regular barrage of abuse on ten-tenths. When we last relaunched the mag in March, I came on and responded to people, but made the point that after a certain amount of time it becomes self-defeating. I can only repeat those sentiments....

Incidentally, our last price rise was on February 7 2002, almost two and a half years ago.

Will continue to read the comments on ten-tenths with interest, nevertheless.

Regards,

John