View Single Post
Old 10 Nov 2004, 08:58 (Ref:1149276)   #21
Chris Y
Veteran

United Kingdom
Over there, over here
Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Al Weyman
What on earth is to be gained by still running one make challenges featuring cars that have been out of production for years.
Easy answer right there - they're cheap to get hold of, and cheap to get the parts. Seems odd that you ask, considering the age of car you are intending to race. If there was a one make challenge for your car, and you had good grids, I'm sure you'd enter?

Quote:
Aother example Maestro racing, do they still do it? Why? it always was a horrible ugly car and I know they get (or did I am a bit out of touch)good grids but what a horrible thing to watch and as for 2CV racing give me strength I would rather watch paint dry absolutely the most boring racing I have ever witnessed.
Hmm. I race a Maestro occasionally, and a 2CV. I'll try and answer those two questions. The Maestro may be considered ugly (it was considered cutting edge in the '80s, but lots of things from the '80s are now considered ugly), but it does handle rather well in race trim. Coupled with the aforementioned cost situation, and the fact that the cars create very close racing still makes this a very attractive championship. That's why there's still loads of them out there. Spectator-wise, they do provide a good spectactle - quite often full grids, close racing, and a bit of argy-bargy - they always entertain on the track.

2CV racing usually is quite exiting to watch actually, but it depends on the track. If they get spread out, then it does tend to look a little dull, but again quite often there's lots of close racing to be had - the nature of the cars (lack of) speed lends well to slipstreaming and late-braking overtaking. Of course, you'll always get the detractors, because of the image of the 2CV, but quite a few people have changed their opinions of 2CVs after watching the racing.

As for the competitors, again the cars provide a challenge. With very little power, they require you to maintain momentum and carry speed through corners properly. Not exactly 'point and squirt'

I also race a Mini, in a one make championship. The car's been out of production for 5 years now - does that invalidate the racing? Should all the Mini racers just pack up and go and buy something more modern? Of course not.

Anyway, opinions will always differ, and I guess tastes will too, but my point here is - not everyone can afford to race exotic machinery - don't be so quick to belittle other peoples' chosen championships.