View Single Post
Old 24 Nov 2004, 16:37 (Ref:1162893)   #1
Gaz
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northwich, UK
Gaz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F3 Top 10 2004 - What is yours?

So then, the Formula 3 season is done and dusted (bar the Bahrain meeting) so who would be your top 10 Formula 3 drivers of 2004 across the board and why?

I'll start things off with mine -

1. Jamie Green - Has to be top of the list after his sensational Euroseries season. Dominated throughout showing both speed and consistency and has a huge future ahead of him. He had the best car/team yes but he still made it work for him..and still beat off two very rapid team mates in the process.

2. James Rossiter - Said it before and I'll say it again, Rossi is the find of the season in the UK. Tremendous rookie year, adapted superbly quick and took the game too two much more experienced drivers. In the end his inexperince shone through but for a bit of luck he could have been 04 champ.

3. Adam Carroll - Excellent effort by Adam. Came back time and time again when it seemed all was lost. Needs to sort qualifying out but his racecraft is second to none. Has all the attributes a real racer needs, is superb to watch and would be an asset to any team further up the ladders of racing. Here's hoping he can find the budget or get the opportunities he deserves for 2005.

4. Alexandre Premat - Showed he had speed and won superbly at Macau and Zandvoort. Needs to calm it down slightly but the speed is definetely there, the rough edges just need sanding down. Probably the best Frenchman around (bar Montagny) at this moment in time and should go far.

5. Nelson Piquet Jnr - Did what was expected of him and won the title despite having a difficult start to the season. Is this high up in my list for the fact he won the title alone, I still feel he is overated and his attitude might not help him as he moves inevitably higher up the ladder.

6. Danny Watts - Great job by Danny in the sole Lola. Awesome win at Castle Combe and a great drive at Macau up until his unfortunate incident at Lesboa. Another driver who deserves a chance further up the ladder and I hope he can get the budget together for a shot at World Series or GP2 in 2005. Should have been included also in the BAR shoot out last week, its a travesty he wasn't.

7. Lewis Hamilton - Great rookie year for young Lewis. Many people need to remember it is Lewis' rookie year and Manor first year in Euro F3. Up against ASM they where always going to struggle but he was often best of the rest and won superbly at Norisring. Showed just how good he is at Macau and it was a shame he couldn't win the race overall. Still, he shut some of his doubters up and in an ASM seat next year should be a cert for the 2005 title.

8. Nicolas Lapierre - Was always up against it competiting against ASM and the factory Mercedes power. Drove well and won superbly on several occasions. Found the rough and tumble of the UK series not to his liking at Spa but a tremendously rapid driver who could go far if he can get the right breaks.

9. Eric Salignon - Excellent come back from Eric. Disaster season in the UK in 03 could have destroyed him but he came back in 04 and did a superb job. Doesn't quite have the exceptional pace of the Jamie Green's of this world but is still an excellent performer. A shame about his road crash as he certainly would have finished runner-up.

10. Lucas Di Grassi - Did a great job in his rookie Brit F3 year in my opinion. Renault/Sodemo powered cars struggled in the UK this year and I think this masked just how good Di Grassi drove slightly. Superb double at Thruxton was deserved and if he returns next year in a better powered car he could be a title favourite.

Last edited by Gaz; 24 Nov 2004 at 16:39.