View Single Post
Old 31 Dec 2004, 21:42 (Ref:1190767)   #71
Fireblade
Racer

Fireblade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In answer to your question blackcrow.

I think that you refer to the occasion in 1956 when Tony Marsh won 2 classes at the Rest-and-be-Thankful venue in the Cooper Climax. His car qualified for the unlimited racing and the sports car class.

Although the "Rest" was long before our time I worked there for a fortnight in the early 90's whilst running a film location communications system. It was for a series called The Good Guys for BBC starring Nigel Havers and Jenny Agutter of Railway Children fame. The old Army road that formed the hillclimb was my main route up to the main transmitter mast and I used it many times a day on my quad bike whilst on the way to refuel my generators. I had great fun, having unlimited access to the road used by Mays, Wharton, Marsh, Henderson etc. Needless to say as the days went by I got bolder and braver until I inevitably stuffed it big style. The remainder of my time there was spent on a 4 stroke quad instead at a much more leisurely gait.

As regards double BTD's, Shelsley Walsh lays claim to having 2 BTD's in one day.

As the Shelsley June 1926 racing car class was abandoned due to inclement weather it was decided to hold it at the next meeting in September. So the record books show that Basil Davenport had 2 wins in one day recording a time of 48.8 secs(Record) for the "June" Meeting and 49.0 for the September meeting all on the same day, 4th September 1926.