View Single Post
Old 11 Jan 2005, 21:24 (Ref:1198460)   #37
gfm
Veteran

gfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Graham G – yes that’s the one. Didn’t he (Caldalari) stay out longer than he should have? As I said, there was so much water around, the McLarens were locking the rear wheels on the overrun and sliding off. The GT2 Porsche was just made for it – good abs, heated rear screen, three speed screen blower, three speed wipers, quick rack power steering, good low down torque etc.
I think that that’s what made Lehto’s drive at Le Mans so special in the McLaren; he was so far ahead of the game in slimey conditions with a trickey car. There are only a few racers who’ll take it on in conditions like that.
I think it’s one of the reasons why I really prefer sports car/enduro racing to F1 type sprint stuff. Racing at night or inclement weather with lots of other cars, allows a good racer more opportunity to display his skill as a racer as opposed to a driver. A lot of finessing involved.
McLaren’s own video of their first Le Mans win was also excellent. McLaren at Le Mans/Pursuit of perfection. Gordon’s choice of music fits in well with in cockpit close-ups at night and stuff. The disappointment for the Bells not winning was very apparent.