View Single Post
Old 12 Jan 2005, 21:30 (Ref:1199341)   #40
gfm
Veteran

gfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's a brilliant video with great in-car detail shots of pedal/gearshift movements and of night time stuff. Gives you an idea of the continual movement. It was made by Electronic Arts if that's any help.
One interesting sideline of a wet race is that you stay fresher because of lower temperatures and the g-forces are considerably less. It saps a lot of energy 'clenching' your inner pieces which get a hammering from heavy breaking and cornering; there is a lot of violence to counteract AND still make precise movements of steering wheel/gear lever.
One of the joys of the GT1 I used to drive was that the gear shift was absolutely rock/rifle bolt solid, so no matter who quick you were going the gear shift action was so positive, missing gears were pretty impossible. Which was just as well because you seemed to need another gear every second-and-a-half. it was one of the strongest features of the car I thought.
It's also the difference between Porsche and so many others (in my experience). They, the Porsche factory, know EXACTLY what a tired driver needs to operate well in the 23rd hour. Pedal actions , weights, cockpit air flow, instrument/switch access was always so properly done.

Last edited by gfm; 12 Jan 2005 at 21:31.