View Single Post
Old 25 Jan 2005, 05:42 (Ref:1209201)   #24
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
Get real Bob. In the old days it was quite normal for a regualr front-runner to qualify near the back of the grid and fight through the field - Goodyear in 1995 or even Tracy in 2002. When there only 33 entries though, the chance of one of the big names not completing their qualifying lap on Pole Day is pretty slim - and as such, they won't start near the back. The days of someone coming in for a one-off race challenging for the win are gone, unless Bruno does the race from ChampCars - and there's no reason why he'd fail to qualify near the front anyway.

Toyota are leaving because NASCAR is now the biggest championship in North America, and they are desperate to win that - and we don't need ot go into why NASCAR is now bigger again. There's nothing to say that Honda will leave in the near future. Chevvy are pulling out because they couldn't invest enough to be competitive, and didn't have any top teams (barring Panther, who had a relatively poor 2004 line-up, and Cheever).
I am not talking about big buck teams starting in the back, for which there is no excuse, if Jack Miller was able to start mid-field; I am speaking of cars like Gary Bettenhausen's sh*tbox Drake powered car that finished third on the same lap of the winners from the last starting position.

Such stories is-are what Indy has always been about not big dollar teams doing what is expected of them; If they do not perform well then compared to a low buck team like Jack Miller's they are pathetic.

I think you get my point.
It is easy to smear anyone but unless on can provide reason for smearing said same person, it only show a lack of class on the part of the person talking trash.
Bob