View Single Post
Old 10 Feb 2005, 20:10 (Ref:1222349)   #22
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
No offense, but if one finds it pointless to watch if someone has a big lead isn't that negating the fact that there might be some good racing going on anyway?

I would also agree with K-B that someone being that far ahead is their achievement. For Race Control to throw a Yellow to "bunch things up" would be extremely frustrating to me as a fan and a racer. As a fan, one would hope that the racing is clean and honest. I really don't want the field "bunched-up" just to make it more "exciting." It would be like going to a football match and having the ref start handing out red cards to a team that has a big lead to "even things up."

As a racer I would have to ask: "What is the point of optimizing the setup and strategy if someone is going to wipe that out at their discretion?"

As far as the mandatory stops eliminating the economy runs I do not think that is entirely true as there are other factors such as tire wear/performance and lap times decreasing as fuel load decreases. In other words over a certain distance you are going to have to come in X number of times for tires anyway, so let the teams decide when they are going to do that rather than impose it on them.

My own philosophy here is to give 'em as much ethanol as they want, turn the boost knob to "Ludicrous" and tell them to have at it!

Last edited by JohnSSC; 10 Feb 2005 at 20:12.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.