View Single Post
Old 22 Feb 2005, 19:04 (Ref:1232677)   #22
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Snrub:

Not to be picky, but I really would like to see you quote where in any of my responses I am calling into question what you said or put words in your mouth regarding the driver skill comparison between NASCAR and CC/IRL.

You asked (and I paraphrase) what opportunities any of us saw to win over some NASCAR fans. My voluminous response was in effect: No.

Nowhere did I say that CC/IRL could not put on an entertaining show.

I did say that a large proportion of the NASCAR field has a chance to win. Obviously after 350 miles of racing that number is going to be culled somewhat, but be honest; how many Teams have a real chance at winning in CC? How many lead changes have we actually seen at Long Beach, for example?

We could bat around specific drivers all day long. Pruett, imho, was always a better closed than open wheel racer particularly after his big moment. The Daytona 24 Hour race, like any endurance race emphasizes equipment preparation as much as driver skill. I did not read much into the relative performances there as for many of those drivers it was a "one-off" into a very specialized racing environment. As far as dropping "anyone" into the top 5 or 6 cars at a NASCAR race and getting the same lap times as Gordon, Stewart, et al - well that is enormously unappreciative of the skill those gentlemen have. If anyone can do that one wonders how dim-witted Hendrick is to pay Gordon all that $$? Heck, if it were that easy I would be out there doing it.

You need to clarify the "restart" point - I did not watch the race so I am not sure what you are referring to there.

Dave Despain and I are in almost 100% agreement on restrictor plate racing. It is one of the reasons I stopped following NASCAR closely several years ago - I don't need to call him and ask him to restate a position that I largely agree with.

I have already stated, quite clearly, in this thread and others how I see it as far as Open Wheel racing's future is concerned. Having already done so in this thread, I am not going to do so again.

I have also stated why I still watch. It is all there still if anyone cares to find out why. In fact, I will say it (again) here: I love racing - all kinds - over the course of a year I watch at least a bit of as many different types as I can. I feel no compunction to have a "favorite" form or a "preferred" series. Further, if I think that a Series/Team/Driver is doing something good, bad or indifferent, I am hoping that I can be objective enough to see it like it is, communicate that and not have to apologize if it is not favorable to my or anyone elses "preferred" form of motorsport.

Last edited by JohnSSC; 22 Feb 2005 at 19:10.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.