View Single Post
Old 30 Jul 2001, 15:27 (Ref:123831)   #9
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So was it not criminally negligent to force the cars to drive through the scattered debris and not force a mandatory tire change?

As both DC and JV reported the red flag was issued after the cars had completed one lap. Therefore the race has commenced. I believe the rules state that the race may not be rejoined after it has completed one lap. Now maybe they are wrong or I am wrong, but TV coverage of the event did not show them waving the flag until the cars were already driving through the debris on lap 2.

Maybe I am being too cynical, but F1 is not about racing anymore. It used to be. But now it is more like professional wrestling where the show is everything. Over 100,000 people came to see MS get his 51st win and his Ferrari failed him on the start. Can anyone here say honestly that race have been red-flagged if it had been Verstappen taken out or Montoya even? I cannot.

If it was just a safety issue, then why wasn't the British GP red-flagged when 4 cars went off and brought gravel back onto the racing line? Certainly it was not nearly the level of debris that was on the track at Hockenheim, but it was unsafe nonetheless.