View Single Post
Old 22 Mar 2005, 00:50 (Ref:1258504)   #25
Mantom
Rookie

United States
Mantom has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
The straight I estimate to be 2700 feet would be from turns 9-10. The runaway that the front straight is on is a total of 5700 feet with the track using about 3000 of it. I would judge the straights from turns 12-13 and 14-1 to be 1200 and 1800 feet respectively. It is a little easier to judge this by looking at the aerial photos. The perspective makes this difficult to judge but its better than the illustration which shows a front straight longer than the infield straight.
Exactly, straights not long enough. The chicane appears right where passing would begin if it were one long straight.

Quote:
Also if you flipped the pit road it would mean installing bridges over the track in order to accomadate pit/paddock walkthroughs. It would also mean drivers exiting the pits would be making a hard right hander into hard accelerating traffic.

The racing line would be on the outside of the stretch between 1 and 2 as drivers are going to want to maintain momentum built off the front stretch. Cars coming off pit road would be on the inside and wouldn't merge with traffic until the braking zone approaching turn 2 - much safer than the T-boning entrance that cars have done at Cleveland the past few years and would need to repeat at the current Edmonton configuration.

I don't think installing bridges are that big a deal. Most airports have stairtrucks and other equipment for exactly that purpose. Besides, tracks look better with a bridge or two.