View Single Post
Old 22 Mar 2005, 15:48 (Ref:1258953)   #235
HiRich
Racer

HiRich should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtype38
This thread is jam full of great ideas for making motorsport a crowd pulling weekend event for the whole family. What it is singularly lacking in is influence over the people who actually run club race events. Does anyone actually "know" someone who organises race events? Has anyone put any of these ideas to those people? If so, what did they say?? If not, then are we wasting a lot of effort here!
Yes, I have presented my ideas to a few 'players'. As you can probably tell from my early posts, I have put a lot of thought into this. Starting from a small idea (how to convert trackday drivers into licence holders), I gradually saw how there were many related problems, and asociated solutions. I finally had a moment of clarity where all the pieces fell into place, and I could see the entire strategy necessary for the entire industry. I saw the opportunity to build a business around executing this strategy. That strategy isn't rocket science, it just requires you to get out the marketing text book and apply the basic rules of marketing:
- Establish the market you are in
- Understand the potential value
- Understand who your customers are, and what they require
- Methodically apply standard marketing practices to meet those requirements
What's more, the evidence is there that it works (Goodwood, Castle Combe, Rockingham, for example).

Whilst smaller groups were interested, I was disappointed by the reaction from those that could genuinely exert influence. Some could not understand why they should get involved, some could only see the problems, not the opportunity, some were mildly enthusiastic, but would let me assume all the risk while they could reap the benefits. In one case, I felt that this was not a person I would trust to do business with. I'm not naming names, but some of these are people you really would have thought would have been more enthusiastic.

You can easily dismiss my views as sour grapes (I'm not worried, I've walked away from it all). However, the one great stumbling block is a general attitude of looking inwards and an unwillingness to reconsider exactly how to go about business. I have extensive experience of similar work with major high street brands and usually get a positive reaction even when suggesting quite radical ideas - their minds are open to the potential opportunity.

The highly fragmented nature of the industry certainly doesn't help, but I would need to see a core group of similarly open-minded people with the influence to implement change before I can see the necessary sea-change in fortunes.