View Single Post
Old 20 Apr 2005, 19:21 (Ref:1283273)   #44
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC

Without some out of the box thinking or some sort of huge Sponsoring Partner, neither Series will be able to grow.
That was one of the points I made in an earlier post.

We need both really. We need new creative thinkers, not guys who say, "if we could just get reunited, and have an 18 race schedule, with an equal mix of ovals/road/street courses, it would be like 1990 all over again, whoopeee!" Thats just not going to happen. Alot has changed in 15 years, and sometimes you just can't go back.

Open wheel also needs to have a company that is willing to dump 10's of millions of dollars into this series, like NEXTEL is doing for NASCAR. Since NEXTEL took over from Winston, there has been a dramatic increase in the visibility of that series, as if there wasn't enough before! They are now everywhere! They are so mainstream, with there ever so well coached and managed drivers that act more like TV actors than race car drivers, and there sponsors who are hawking there goods with NASCAR junk stuck all over there products! They have also bought Speed Channel lock, stock, and barrel. They now have anywhere from 12-18 hrs. a day of nothing but NASCAR, thanks to NEXTEL.

Without that big series sponsor bringing serious cash, neither series can truly gain a foothold with the public again. But the problem is, where do we find a sponsor willing to commit to the mess we have today?

Danica Patrick