View Single Post
Old 20 Apr 2005, 20:33 (Ref:1283322)   #46
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhansen
Be careful what you wish for...

However, if you want successful open wheel racing like we had before the split then I see no reason why an 18 race schedule with an even mix of road courses and ovals would not work. The primary detriment prior to the split was management and business practices. The quality of the product was never the real issue.
It won't work, simply because NASCAR has raised the bar.

People today expect more from there racing dollars and entertainment time. There are lots of ways to find entertainment today, so if your going to get looked at, you better damn well be giving people something extra, and NASCAR has done that. They have revolutionized the sport of racing, and how people view racing. Fans feel as though there part of something big, and they are. They are the first series to make racing mainstream, where yuppies, bikers, rednecks, lawyers, truckdrivers and stockbrockers all love to watch NASCAR these days. They have been able to do what no other racing series has ever been able to, mass market. Mention racing, and people say NASCAR! NASCAR is racing!

Jhansen, your a sports car guy, but how many people do you know that you can actually discuss that with? I'd venture none, besides close friends. But you can always talk about NASCAR. Its in Americas psyche, like football.

So IMO, there is no way to go back to 1990, reunification or not. People want and expect more today, and if your sport doesn't have it, then maybe Arena Football, or the X-Games does. NASCAR has found a system that works. Take the best of it, and run with it...

Danica Patrick