View Single Post
Old 22 Aug 2001, 11:31 (Ref:134186)   #4
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Welcome XR.

As someone who will probably never buy a Falcon or a Commodore as they do not suit me, I am still interested in the two marques and the cars they produce. I also like to see both do well in the market place. So if you ever need an impartial opinion

There isn't much need for more than 300kw in Australian cars, as they probably cannot handle more than that without major remodification due to having to be based on cars that are designed for mass production. Not to mention that the majority of Australian drivers cannot cope either, some have enough problems with Hyundais.

The re-resurection of the GT name would be a good idea, especially with Holden bringing back Monaro for the coupe (which personally is not a good idea, yet probably markets well). And I agree it should follow the lead of the original GT and be a performance car first and then add the extras. I'm not so sure on the HO plate though as really, if it was to return it should have "handling options" as the name suggests.

As for what to have on the car. It would have to have more power than a T-series or XR Falcon, but it doesn't have to be a lot. Just enough to edge it in front. So if the XR has 255kw, the maybe 270kw would be enough. For bonnet scoops and vents, I am against them if they are for show only. Basically it needs something to set it apart more than leap out at you, yet still stand out from the rest of the Falcon range. Difficult I know.

A decent traction control would be good too, but one that can be switched off. Bigger brakes would be good too. For the interior I'd say a new dash (don't follow Holden and have colour coded dash).

300 per year sounds about right for the GT. Any more than that and you lose the appeal of it being rare.

Anything else you'd like to know?