View Single Post
Old 11 Nov 2005, 15:21 (Ref:1458208)   #74
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by graham bahr
if you cant move the engine further back,
move the front suspension forward 2 inches!!
Nah, that would just make it go round corners like an E-type (ie badly). My short wheelbase is one of my best advantages against the big boys on a tight track
Quote:
Originally Posted by graham bahr
or fill the boot with heat wrap!

Anyway, I put the petrol tank in the boot and now there's only space for a ham sandwitch and a car mag in case I break down half way along the Revitt Straight

More seriously, I've moved anything with any weight as close to the middle of the car as possible with the exception of the tank. With that I decided to sacrifice a bit of total rotational inertia in favour of balance. I find that with about 4gal of 4star hung out behind my back wheels I get just about perfect four wheel drifts

As for the back end, I've seen some easily adjustable camber/castor/toe systems on some cars so I might give that a try and have a play at that end (if it doesn't add weight).

Straw pole... what sort of toe in/out values do you all use at the front and rear? To keep it simple can you use degrees rather than inches then I don't have to ask how big your wheels are

I use 1/4 deg total toe out at the front and about the same toe in at the back.