View Single Post
Old 18 Jan 2006, 13:54 (Ref:1503784)   #5
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Not seen Motors stuff as haven't got it, but interesting to see what they're showing.

Yeah i went to quite a lot of the Brit F3 events in the mid-late 80's and an awful lot of talent that we still see today came through the British and various European series. Certainly the guys you've mentioned Sonic as well as Larini, Apicella, Tamburini, Gounon, Helary, Schneider, naspetti, Montermini, Gachot, the list probably would have over 30 names on it of perople who went onto achieve something or other.

Johnny was destined for the WDC after that year, he continued to impress in 3000, but the legacy of the Brands shunt cost him time around a lap in the F1 cars because of restricted feel and movement in his heeled ankle.

Thomas Danielsson was another driver who deserved to go onto better things, he was certainly on Johnny's pace but perhaps not as consistent in the Madgwick car although they went better once they'd swapped the Alfa engines for Spiess veedubs.

I remember him gobsmacking allcomers after returning to racing after eye trouble in opening 3000 round at Silverstone in '89, again with Madgwick. Both he and another Brit F3 graduate Phillipe Favre (GA Lola) outclassed the likes of Alesi, Donnelly, Lehto, Blundell, Comas and Bernard that day - but all of whom graduated to F1 with some notable results, if not achievinh full potneitla for various reasons.

I've always been tempted to rummage throgh collector websites and buy up as many vids of those years as possible because of the quality of talent and racing, but never gotten round to it!!