View Single Post
Old 18 Jan 2006, 15:34 (Ref:1503842)   #7
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Rear
chunterer, agreed re Danielsson, I was at that Silverstone F3000 race, he walked it didn't he. IIRC it was his first race in the category, most of the others you mention had some experience of it, and he made them all look very second rate.
I don't agree that Damon was "very average compared to Herbert", if any of them have regrets, I reckon it must be Donnelly. He was usually, tho' not always, faster than Damon, and fwiw, I think quicker than Herbert overall.
Thomas had started the '88 3000 season alongside Herbert at EJR, but had to stand down mid season as his eyesight problems increased. He was initially replaced by F2/3000 journeyman Alessandro Santin who didn't do much and then linking nicely to the second part of your post, Martin Donnelly took over the seat (after some clever outmanouvering of Damon to get there first!!), and ended up second or 3rd in the points having only done about 4 races! How things could have been so different that year if both he and Johnny (maybe a fully fit Thomas too) had been able to complete a full season!! Methinks Roberto Moreno, may have had to work a bit harder to clinch it, good driver as he was back then.

Danielsson then came back for a full assault in '89 and began with that Silverstone win that we both were at. He suffered some reliability problems thereafter, and i suspect, was still having difficulty with the eyes, as he didn't compete properly again for a couple of years after that. He's actually prompted me to question the lack of quality Swedish drivers nowadays in a thread on the F1 forum.

There's little doubt in my mind that Martin was a world class driver and is still a top bloke today! Wasn't much in it between him and 'Impey'.