View Single Post
Old 3 Feb 2006, 21:18 (Ref:1515097)   #10
JohnD
Veteran

JohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Carsten
What a great idea. Sad to say, I fear it will be smothered by beurocracy, in the UK at least.

Last year, an e-friend of mine in the USA who races the same margue and type of car in the SCCA series, was due to come on holiday to the UK. He asked if he could have a race with us. One of our marque traders had built a race hire-car, and the club was all for it, but let's just check with the MSA about his licence.

Wish we hadn't asked, though I suppose the CoC would have found us out. Certainly he can race, said the MSA. Which ARDS course will he be going on? Beg your pardon? Oh, he'll have to take a UK ARDS test, ooh and surrender his US licence. Sorry, this is a short holiday visit, one, maybe two races in this country, can we talk to the Secretary to the Race Committee? I AM the Secretary!

Turns out that the MSA is being leant on by the FIA, partly because the MSA has been lax in enforcing updated safety measures - built in fire extinguishers, FIA homologated harness etc. etc. This includes not allowing 'foreign' drivers, unless the race series specificly allows them and the race is entered on a special list of races that are eligable for foreign entries. Oh ,and they must have an International licence. See Part V of the Blue Book.
Our series officials had never heard of all this.
My friend didn't get his race.

Sad, isn't it? Just when we are beginning to become part of our Continent, "the mainland is cut off from Europe".

Best wishes for your exchange scheme!

John