Thread: Modus
View Single Post
Old 4 May 2003, 11:04 (Ref:1556396)   #15
Bryan Miller
Veteran

Bryan Miller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Modus .ref. at start of 75 series in autosport refers to a new car for Brise with different body and bulkheads. At first the way it is written made me think they had pulled the tub apart and then refettled it, but I dont't believe that happened. I think it was a brand new car. Brise used this car with good effect until Monaco F3 race where Autosport reports that he converted to Atlantic car .
He won 1 heat and was disputing final with [I can't remember] until Brise ran up the back wheel of ?????? and took them both out.
Atlantic support race British Grand Prix, Autosport reports Brise in newly built up car and Ruedi Gygax in Brise's ex Monaco F3, which is actually his reconverted Atlantic.
Brise crashes in practice in the F1 and run either but both Brise and Gygax are in Atlantic programme.
After this meeting Brise carries on to finish winning Atlantic c/ship in new car and it is even driven at least once by Tim Brise.
Meanwhile, John Nicholson does some sort of deal and runs the ex Gygax Atlantic car updated ???? in the last 4 rounds of the Southern Organs Series, damaging it at, if my memory is correct, Oulton Park, [QUOTE GIVING DAVE PRICES boys some work to do ]]
John must have purchased car, maybe on the 'you bend it, you own it' scheme, anyway I can't find any record of him using it in 1976, but real late in 76, they send it to N.Z. for the Peter Stuyvesant Series where he came 4th overall, then sold it to Robbie Frankievic.
The rest I can update some other time, however I rang John Nicholson just after buying car and asked him about it .
Fabulous conversation, about 1995, he absolutely refused to believe he ran the car in 1975 and said he was in Canada looking after his engine customers, until I insisted and faxed him the results out of Autosport.
I then phoned a few nights later and he said he still did not believe it except he had to because of the results and dates. He asked if I had got all the spares that went to N.Z. with the car, and when I said no, he said there was a /////load, so I got in touch with Ken Smith where both mine and the ex Sharp/Emson car came from, and sure enough Ken had some of them, namely the 4 front and 2 rear uprights which are the hard parts to replace.
After the Oulton Park crash, which crinkled tub, I rather think, but have no evidence that when the decision was made to go to N.Z. they slid a new tub in my car and that is how it comes to carry chassis pl. M1-022-F.A.75 ., but tub. no. is 054-7-76.
Modus was gone about now, end 76, after Teddy Savoury blew his brains out with a shotgun, and this could well be the last tub they did.

Another poser, at the Monaco F3 race, also entered, were Danny Sullivan in what was at least a semi-works entry and Ruedi Gygax. Gygax failed to qualify and Sullivan stuffed his into a tree or something, so they robbed Gygax's car for Sullivan.
I should have mentioned earlier I have acopy of the Modus works records, along with Marcus Pye and Peter Denty.
Did you know these existed ??????
Anyway, in that list originally scheduled by factory as works/brise.
But also shows 022 as 1976 car forMike/Joe Domingo in Sth. Africa with ex Gygax running gear.
Nobody had found the tub no. on my car until I discovered it, and the car very definitely carries the chassis plate to this day.
Iwill fill in the rest of the history of both N.Z. Modus soon.

Last edited by John Turner; 25 Mar 2006 at 00:45. Reason: Chassis Archive edit!