View Single Post
Old 11 Oct 2001, 19:53 (Ref:159275)   #11
ChrisUSA
Rookie

ChrisUSA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Regarding the 2stroke vs 4stroke debate...

What "Wins Today Sells Tomorrow" means absolutley nothing in Grand Prix, just as in Formula 1.

The only thing that really matters is lap times.

If a bike appeared that could turn much faster lap times than Rossi's NSR500, that is the bike i would want representing the best of motorcycling(Grand Prix).

I hesitate to accept 4strokes with open arms - people just may accept slower lap times because of benefits a 4stroke offers(better emissions, more relevance to street bikes) which are not an advancement to the sport of motorcycle racing (based on an unsubstantiated rumour that Honda would press for a ban of 2strokes whether or not the new 4strokes proved quicker than 2strokes)

Though motorcycle racing is steeped in tradition which i am fond of, if a new form of energy to propel a racing motorcycle comes along that proves lap times far superior to the current 2strokes or 4strokes, then that is the direction I must go in - whether or not i could buy it in a dealership.

As of the present, the 2stroke racing motorcycle has proved itself in an almost Darwinian way - it has demonstrated overwhelmingly superiority in its particular niche, beaten all challengers into extinction, and therefore dominates racing - not a hard concept to grasp.

As long as lap times are the main concern in racing, and at present they are, then the relevance to what type of machinery is used on the track vs. the street is moot.