View Single Post
Old 6 May 2006, 19:50 (Ref:1601959)   #19
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Ha Ha, I won Class A believe it or not!

Well thats the fact of the matter unfortunately the truth is not quite so exciting but an extrodinary day all the same.

Its started off when I unloaded the car from the trailer and the footbrake went straight to the floor. Tried to have a bleed off of the brakes butthe fronts wre not bleeding right then I noticed fluid streaming down the rear of the master cylinder, it had shot its bolt. Anyhow the brakes came up a little but no way confidence inspiring so I decided to take it out in practice for a slow run around as I wanted to check the head gaskets and oil leaks (they were perfect as it transpires).

After one slow lap I spun off on the wet at the chicane as the old bus was oversteering a bit in the wet (maybe gone over the top with me blingy gold anodised rear anti-roll bar), but I spun because I was haveing trouble sellecting gears then it got stuck in ruddy gear and the upshot was I had to sit out the practise and had ocassion to sample the superb full lift truck operated at the circuit, very nice operation. Oh and thanks to that nice marshall who let me share his doughnuts.

So back to the pits I can't engage gear when the engine is running as the clutch won't disengage. After plenty of messing around and lying in a puddle of water I managed to get a bit more throw on the clutch but the only way I could engage gear was to start it up in gear so to get our David Howard an extra point (more Class A starters) I decide to take it out and try to start, knackered master cylinder and clutch not disengaging.

Anyhow poor old David never made the race with an oil line problem so starting at the back of the grid I held it in gear at the start and off we went, me now the only Class A runner, I had to double d clutch to change gear (I knew working on those old ex-Army Commer trucks in the 60's would come in useful) for most of the race and to be honest the brakes although working better were not right so I thought better than trying to mix it and risk ramming some hapless competitor with 1500kgs of yank tank with no brakes I would just poodle around and have the points which I did and amazingly although I finished last I won the class and a nice little trophy (bit embarassing really but you know what they say, to win you have to finish!)

Oh one more thing when I took it off the trailer tonight would you believe it slipped straight into gear and drove no problem, I am wondering now if the clutch got oil on it and it was causing it to drag and the race and holding it on the line may have burnt the oil off, racecars can you believe them!

Last edited by Al Weyman; 6 May 2006 at 19:56.