View Single Post
Old 17 Oct 2001, 15:35 (Ref:162021)   #3
Racer.Demon
Rookie

Racer.Demon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ingo,

I can imagine why the Reims council did not reply to your query. Firstly, the Reims-Gueux track is not on their territory. Secondly, the people in the vicinity of the track couldn't care less.

Deducting from your post you probably missed that there are large construction works going on at Gueux since this summer. When I was there this spring (http://www.racer.demon.nl/6thgear/reims.html) the track (bar the Route Nationale that formed the long straight to Thillois) was already closed off. At the time it made for some welcome quiet visiting moments to the pit complex, as we illegally forced our entry onto the track, driving our car through a very soft shoulder, past the road blocks. Fortunately I have 4WD! Another worrying sight was that the trees lining the track from Muizon to the "jump" from the hill onto the lower part of the Thillois straight were all cut down, with the surrounding area also dug up.

This summer Chris Nixon reported that now the RN was closed off as well, with a detour to the North of the track. Apparently the plan is to "decapitate" the crest of the hill and to build a fly-over for the road leading from Muizon. That would mean that the entire Northwestern part of the "long" track - around Muizon corner - would lose its original looks. To me this looks like a prelude to a complete molestation of everything reminding of a once glorious track.

Alas that seems to be common practice in France, as in Rouen they are also brutally destroying all the old landmarks (see http://www.racer.demon.nl/6thgear/rouen.html). The pit complex has been torn down, the pit area is completely dug up, Nouveau Monde has been asphalted over. And the worst thing is that the awesome back section has been cut off by the Autoroute.

Why can't the French deal with their motorsport heritage like it's done at the Nürburgring? Listed? Don't bet on it.

It's not just the French, though. We all know what happened and is happening to the Monza banking, Avus, Bremgarten, you name it. Not to mention the "modernisation" that has turned tracks like the Österreichring, Zandvoort or even the old Hockenheim into dreary places.