View Single Post
Old 28 Jun 2006, 14:32 (Ref:1643469)   #3
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA
Going from the number of different registration numbers (at least half-a-dozen so far) I've seen on photos, there seem to have been quite a few rallycars built (always assuming that 1 registration= 1 individual car...) but I suspect that maybe only the later Group A Vitesses from 1984/5 were TWR-built.
There also seem to have been a number of earlier 'Group 2' cars which may have been built inhouse by BL/Austin Rover. Whether any of these were new builds, or rebuilt from ex-racers, who knows?
Hi Guys, this is a very interesting thread, well done to everyone so far.

Not wishing to throw another spanner into the works on this one, but historically, rally car identities have often used a number of different chassis, even to the extent of tarmac & gravel specification cars. Obviously this can easily be done by the 'works' team who just have to make sure that more than one isn't seen in the same place at the same time! (Let's face it, usually chassis plates are just held on with pop rivets & number plates with self tappers!).
I also seem to remember that TWR were only responsible for the later rally car builds, weren't the original ones built by BL Competitions in Abingdon?

Anyway, please don't let me put you guys off, the information is fascinating.