View Single Post
Old 10 May 2000, 23:01 (Ref:1644)   #3
Sparky
Veteran

Sparky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here Bloody Here, Gerard!!!

When I was typing the questions about car regulations, I thought to myself, I bet this stirs a few minds, makes more people realize that what we watch today is a really poor excuse for the racing of yesteryear.

Yes we all know how to change the racing for the better, but Bernie and Max seem content to reduce the spectacle to a procession, and will do so as long as the money rolls in.
Unfortunately, F1 is big business now, the monies involved are astronomical and, as long as 'wealthy enthusiasts' pile through those gates every other saturday, then nothing will change. Unless of course someone else gets hurt, and the political correctness machine will swing into action, and they'll add more 'safety'.

I beleive the drivers know what they're up to when they climb into the car. They know what could happen, as they've all been exposed to the recent loss of Ayrton Senna and Roland Ratzenburger. But still they race on.
I don't think they're driving along thinking; "Well at least these lovely grooves will stop me hurting myself, and now the cars are narrower, I should be able to dive out of the way of trouble"

The decision to change the rules has to be suggested, and then unanimously agreed by all teams. All the teams know what is needed to return to the 'Glory Days', but will not, as they've invested millions in ways of circumventing todays regulations. As long as the advertisers / sponsors cough up the cash, there will be no regression to slick tyres, or tracks without chicanes.
It's very disappointing. Todays drivers are reasonably good, but they are beyond comparison with the drivers of the '40's, '50's and '60's. I honestly think that if you put a mid-field driver into a turbo car, he would run home crying to mummy.
And if you could magically place Clark, Hill Senior or Fangio into one of todays cars, he'd do one lap, pull back into the pits and say, "Can I have my old car back please.
I don't know what we can do, Gerard. It's very depressing to think what was once the sport of Gentlemen and enthusists has become a fortnightly advertising spectacle.

A motoring version of 'School Scissors' - quite sharp, but you can't quite do the job properly and there's certainly little danger involved.

Where can I buy the last forty years of Grand prix racing on video...?