Thread: Chevron B48
View Single Post
Old 10 Jul 2006, 12:04 (Ref:1652180)   #66
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

allenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridallenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Rear
I thought we were fairly clear on these Allen. 1,5 and 8 were the works cars, driven variously by Rahal, Gaillard, Devaney and EJ, 2 is Dauer, 3 & 7 Huub, 4 Stohr, 6 RAM.
Maybe Dan, but why were we clear? Maybe it's just that bane of the historian, "received wisdom". As far as I can see, the only reason for thinking RAM had 06 was because F1R called it 06 with a dot after it to show it was speculative. Do we have any other reason to think RAM had 06? Is there any supporting evidence? Anything at all?

Chris, yes you're right, Adam had Ray Rowan in B48-79-04 (ex-Terry Fisher) in 1982 then had Stuart Ridge in B48-79-04 (ex-Fisher, Rowan) in 1987. I had accepted Dan's view that this was actually B45-78-04 (ex-Crawford). However, we need to have a good reason for discounting Adam's contemporary observations; maybe the chassis plate had been overstamped following a rebuild or something. Crawford had the B45 in 1980 so does this mean Terry Fisher had it in 1981?

One more spanner to hurl into the works: Sports Extra in Autosport 8 Jul 1982 p45 has a feature on Robinson's newly completed Lotus Esprit where it says it was built on Robinson's "faithful Chevron B42". It repeats B42 in a caption of a picture of the tub. And talking of spanners, Richard Brown's "B49", identified by Adam as B49-79-02, is said (Autosport 16 Sep 1982 p30) to be "the ex-Bernard Devaney Chevron B47 F3 chassis, subsequently updated to B49 Atlantic specification for Scotsman Bill Ness". Some very odd things were going on at Chevron at this time!

Allen