Thread: Chevron B48
View Single Post
Old 10 Jul 2006, 12:14 (Ref:1652193)   #67
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

allenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridallenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwood
ok really we are saddos but lest say u where aske dby joe bloggs to research the cars history consider yr time at say £10 per hour
Hang on, why is it we do this? For financial gain? I don't think so.

I research racing cars because I enjoy it. Some people enjoy crosswords, some Sudoku, some like building model ships; I enjoy figuring out old racing cars. I feel it's more productive but at the end of the day it's what used to be called a "hobby". If someone asks me to research their car specifically, I just say no. Unless I fancy doing it anyway of course, in which case I just do it and don't charge. If they wanted to buy my time, it would be a hell of a lot more than £10 per hour. Years ago, before OldRacingCars.com, I used to charge £500 per car but stopped because it was no fun researching some obscure sports car that I didn't care about.

While I might freely exchange information with anyone who can move my research forward, Vin and Helen are running a business. If an owner wants them to go through their old files, why shouldn't they charge a proper business rate? I suspect if enthusiasts/historians like us asked them, their attitude may be different. Maybe their attitude already has been different but they'd rather it wasn't broadcast? I don't know, I'm just speculating.

Allen