View Single Post
Old 10 Jul 2006, 16:03 (Ref:1652393)   #9
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrimage
Will electric cars just sound like a Scalextric track? There could be quiet times ahead ...
Thinking about it, this is off-topic - many apologies - do we need a thread on the noise of racing in sportscars given the plethora of different options out there? Probably one for you mods. Either way, please feel free to move if you reckon there's a better place for this.

I'm almost certainly in a tiny minority but reduced/altered noise doesn't bother me that much. Looking around Audi's performance at Le Mans has raised the heckles of all sorts of people who feel the noise is utterly integral to the whole motorsport experience. To my eyes it's not subservient to speed, acceleration, on the edge control, and real competition. Noise? Well, it's there and certainly grabs attention but the be all and end all? I'm not so sure.

If it comes down to a choice between getting to see loud cars in a decreasing number of locations (as restrictions on racing creep in more and more) or being able to see them at Monza, Castle Combe, etc I know which one I'd choose.