View Single Post
Old 24 Jul 2006, 07:20 (Ref:1663139)   #9
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 275 GTB-4
Totally and utterly disagree with you about reds in sequence though....they should all be deployed simultaneously...
I'm with you on that! If I've got a serious incident I want a red flag NOW! Because in the UK, for car meetings, flaggies are only allowed to put out the red when they see it at the adjacent post, halfway round the circuit you're relying on the reaction times of probably a dozen people.....it can seem like a very long time. Red flags are usually called over the radio, but even if they have scanners, flaggies are forbidden to act on that, although it does speed the process, as anyone who has heard the call can have the red flag ready & will be watching for reds from either side. At bike meetings, it's just the opposite - all communication between race control & posts is by radio, so at the call 'all points, red flag' the reds are out. Theoretically the sector marshal is supposed to give the instruction to the flaggies, but in practice, if you hear the call, you put the red out - some clubs even loan scanners to flaggies.