View Single Post
Old 1 Aug 2006, 12:48 (Ref:1669927)   #8
TRuss
Veteran

TRuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTRuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ok. This is fantasy, but I still want to keep my list as realistic as possible...I think so far we've all done a good job of this. I'm thinking the regulations remind a little of the 96-99 years so maybe we will see cars looking like this and a possible return of those manufacturers.

I would think the almost definites would be
1. Audi
2. Peugot
both because of the programs they have underway.

Strong possibilities
3. Toyota. There is already a rumor of a Toyota hybrid. Maybe this is the class they are aiming for.
4. Nissan. Simply because Toyota is involved.
5. Mercedes. They haven't been involved since '99 with the CLR. The last of their family faced coupes/prototype.
6. BMW. Also a strong possibility I feel. All three German teams were there for LeMans 1999. Although BMW fielded an open top car.
7. Porsche. They haven't been in the top class since '98 when they won LeMans in a Prototype which had the family resemblence to their street cars. Mostly in the headlights. It's time for them to come back to the top class. I'd trade a BMW entry for a Porsche entry.

Maybes.
8. GM. In the form of Cadillac or Corvette since this is their two international brands. There is rumors that Chevy is pulling the plug on the GT1 Corvettes to go prototype racing. Maybe we will see something in the vein of the Corvette GTP. This would be very cool.
9. Mazda. I really think that we will see Mazda stay in LMP2. If they plan on sticking with the rotary I just don't think they will have the power to compete. Even a four rotor. Remember. The 787B finished first only because it first finished.
10. Honda. Will they stay in LMP2 or jump up to the top class. I think it depends on if they (Acura) are tired of beating up on the Mazda and how successful Toyota and Nissans campaigns are. If they have too, Honda will rise to the challenge to protect their heritage.

My Fantasy. It isn't a pick of a team but a hope for generous regulations for technological breakthroughs that will benefit passenger cars. Mostly in the realm of alternative fuels. I'd like to see this become the new Group C. Except this time it would be more of a Group G. I know I have said this before, and I hope that is what this series becomes. The cars should be spectacular and at the cutting edge for all of motorsport. Especially if F1 continues down it's ridiculous path.