View Single Post
Old 15 Aug 2006, 04:17 (Ref:1682814)   #57
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
As far as I can tell, besides the Ferrari F40 and McLaren F1, all the other big name GT1s from the previous era were by no means "GTs". They certainly were a lot further from stock compared to the current cars, and probably as expensive, if not moreso, to be competitive (especially with Porsche and Mercedes factory money involved). Not to mention that a number of people consider those "homologation specials" to be the reason the class died, especially when, as far as I'm aware, there were no customer Porsche 911-GT1-98s or Mercedes CLK-LMs/CLK-GTRs/CLRs in 1998. As that appears to have been the case then, is that a road we really want to go down again?

Frankly, in the US, I think we should put together an augmented rules package to run current GT1s, old AGTs, and Trans-Am cars in one "GT1" class.