View Single Post
Old 15 Aug 2006, 18:03 (Ref:1683446)   #68
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist
As far as I can tell, besides the Ferrari F40 and McLaren F1, all the other big name GT1s from the previous era were by no means "GTs". They certainly were a lot further from stock compared to the current cars, and probably as expensive, if not moreso, to be competitive (especially with Porsche and Mercedes factory money involved). Not to mention that a number of people consider those "homologation specials" to be the reason the class died, especially when, as far as I'm aware, there were no customer Porsche 911-GT1-98s or Mercedes CLK-LMs/CLK-GTRs/CLRs in 1998. As that appears to have been the case then, is that a road we really want to go down again?

Frankly, in the US, I think we should put together an augmented rules package to run current GT1s, old AGTs, and Trans-Am cars in one "GT1" class.
The CLK's and 911 GT1's were as stock as the F40's and Mclaren F1's, compared to their respective road models.

The issue was homologation numbers.

With only one homologated roadcar required, a manufactuer could build any car they wished, and simply build one roadcar version.

The original 'real' GT1 line-up was:-

Mclaren F1
F40LM/GT-E
Venturi LM600
Jaguar XJ220C/PC Automotive
911 Turbo SLM
Viper GTS-R
Lister Storm
Lotus Esprit/V8

.........and various oddball entries like the SARD, Mig, Renault Spyder, 'GT40' etc.

The current GT1's follow in the tradition of the early cars, but weigh 1125kg rather than 900kg, which makes a huge difference.

The CLK-GTR, 911 GT1 breed evolved into LMP1.

Last edited by JAG; 15 Aug 2006 at 18:06.