View Single Post
Old 28 Aug 2006, 17:53 (Ref:1695618)   #1
Flat12-Aircool
Veteran

United Kingdom
Stoke-on-Trent (The Potteries)
Flat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFlat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Persistant problems with all LMS races for spectators

Whilst I don't want to criticise Donington specifically, it has to be said that from a spectator "knowing what was going on" point of view, then this year was worst than last year. I thought this series was supposed to be getting more popular, but as things stand the situation seems to be getting worse!

First of all there was NO big TV screen!!! We had one last year at Silverstone, why not one this year?!? Combined with the totally inaudible commentary system, I'm surprised anybody knew what was going on except for those watching the TV at home.

I myself this year, even invested in a portable radio which was particially successful, as because of the undulating terrain of Donington I couldn't always get a signal. And if I could get one I wasn't able to hear without being far away from the track.

If the LMS series is going to provide an adequate Spectator experience then it needs to start using the ALMS "3 Light system" NOW!!! After several hours the initial thrill of the occasion wains slightly, and from then onwards you would like to have at least some idea of what is going on, and who is winning.

This really is simple elementary stuff, just give the fans a few places around the circuit where they can look at a screen and get the current positions in the race.

As things stand at the moment, the circuit expects each fan to have a laptop computer logged into the Live Timing webpage!

After 3 years of the LMS it simply isn't good enough, and Endurance racing fans deserve and should get better.