Thread: Chevron B16
View Single Post
Old 17 Sep 2006, 22:43 (Ref:1712544)   #23
Bryan Miller
Veteran

Bryan Miller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Allen,

From this distance , with nary a B16 ever racing here , I believe '' Dobby'' will be Denys Dobbie [ spelling ] whose cars all ran under D.A.R.T. , Dobbie Automobile Racing Team.
Dark blue with a long forward facing arrow down each side.

We did have a B16 here for a short while , it was black and had Willhire stickers on it , would have been poss. mid 1980's , car was up for auction along with the owners other car a McLaren M8? , from memory both cars had been imported to race , however the owner then had to return to the U.K. ?? and cars went to auction at Sydney showgrouds , I wanted the B16 badly , but it got to $ 32000.00 Aust. and that was very serious money then , both were passed in and presumably returned to your shores.

This now neatly returns me to a question I have posed twice re a ''Chevron B23 ''that has been here since 1979/1980 , it was not a B23 however had been sold as such by Lodge Corner Agencies in the U.K. and had a set of old B21/B23 body panels on outriggers over an unknown sports racing car , Max Brunninghausen [ owner of our only B8 ] and I went over this car 3 times and we could not for the life of us figure out what it was , the spare panels on the car had old BOAC 1000 kms stickers extant.
Car was fitted with an FT200 and what was purported to be a BDG [ iron block ] on carbs. Also had Chevron 10'' fronts and Minilite 12'' rears , two sets.
The gearchange had been converted from centre of cockpit to near driver's r.h.s. on top chassis rail.

If maybe Simon Hadfield or someone had some photo's of an uncovered B16 I may be able to identify some points , the car had been something very well made in a lot of respects especially the fuel tanks , this was no backyarder.

Bryan.