View Single Post
Old 4 Oct 2006, 20:02 (Ref:1727997)   #2
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Mainly money IMHO and the ridiculous cost of entries, proof of this is when a bargain race is promoted by say MSV and by bargain I mean £100 for one race or £150 for two so not exactly cheap but a lot cheaper than the standard £170 for one race of 10 minutes duration then the grids are usually full. When I started in the late 80's it was £45 entry and we had a nice prize fund which you only had to finish to get some money back now there is nothing in the pot. Going back further to the mid 70's when I did hotrods, we used to get paid start money and prize money and no entry fee!

I talk to people about my sport and they nearly always ask what you get paid if you win, when you tell them nothing and it cost £170 to enter they look at you like you have a screw loose and just maybe we do! Then added to this is the ridiculous changing of safety equipment, example I just looked at the belts I bought in Sept last year and they are stamped 2007 so no doubt I will have to replace them so another £100, thats stupid as there is no way a modern prodcuct would wear as bad as the be unusable in that short space of time and I have probably worn then what 10 or 15 times tops.They all want to be very careful they do not kill the goose that lays the golden egg.

Last edited by Al Weyman; 4 Oct 2006 at 20:09.