View Single Post
Old 5 Oct 2006, 08:55 (Ref:1728522)   #216
Go_For_Pole
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Go_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGo_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valker
Now I know who's Kaitatzis, but where's Zahos coming from?
Hehehe, as Strider says it is Greece. But I suppose you are more interested in his background right?

Nikos Zahos was multiple Greek karting champion, in fact their battles with Kaitatzis and some other good guys of the same generation (amongst them John Antoniadis who raced for about half a year in British F3 with Duma) were probably the best we ever saw in this country. Then Zahos and Kaitiatzis moved to Greek F3 (Takis won the championship, Nikos some races) and when that died they tried various one-make cups in which they won everything between them. As circuit racing was suffering over here they got bored with the level of competition so they both moved to rallying with Takis racing an Evo and Nikos staying with A5 class cars.

The last couple of years Takis has been completely inactive (after destroying his car), while Nikos stayed out in 2005 before landing a (sort of) works deal to drive a Chevrolet, again in rallies. All in all, their talent is way beyond the level of your typical Greek racing driver and I dare say it doesn't look out of place in the A1 grid. Of course being out of single seater competition for so long is not helping them at all but to put things in perspective Takis got within 2,5 secs of pole within 20 laps without knowing the circuit, the car or being anywhere near familiar with the downforce and power levels on offer. I would say that's as good as it could realistically get and now things can only get better.