View Single Post
Old 2 Nov 2006, 01:09 (Ref:1755803)   #17
Seton Fanatic
Racer

Seton Fanatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
FTR was where Lowndes (along with Marcos, I might add), should have ended up in the first place. To this day, I have the suspicion that Lowndes was steered away from FTR by Howard Marsden and Geoff Polites, because of their dislike for Glenn Seton.

There was also the perception that Glenn was a control freak, and wouldn't allow any teammate to beat him. As we saw with Steven Richards, Alan Jones, Neil Crompton and Wayne Park, that was total nonsense. All of these teammates were slower than Glenn Seton. All of these teammates sometimes put Glenn in the shade. One suspects that Ford felt, that Craig would be disadvantaged at FTR, if Seton was driving.

I felt that notion to be nonsense, for Glenn had a quoted plan to retire in 2005 (how canny was that prediction), and run his team from then on. I suspect he would have welcomed Lowndes with open arms, and allowed to have the same shot at winning the chamionship, as he did. After all, Alan Jones was a championship contender, for the best part of 1993.

Sadly, FTR and Lowndes never happened, but I still wonder what might have been.