View Single Post
Old 19 Dec 2006, 15:02 (Ref:1794759)   #39
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewymonster
You will never get completely fair performance with two different engine types. Last year in the ALMS the GASOLINE powered vehicles were much quicker than the R10 (later part of the year, because of the "performance adjustments [gasoline powered P1s running 143 pounds lighter than the R10]).
Right, the adjustments. That's what the ACO declined to do, though, where the ALMS felt they had to.

Besides, with the diesels, there's a much more direct tradeoff between economy and power - so they were hardly pushing the power envelope while the gasoline P1s were at their peak power. Witness that they just hung with the lead pack at Laguna, and then went almost an extra 30% distance at the end while the others had to pit.

Impressive use of the technology as allowed. I admire Audi's work, for sure - I just wish that the advantage given to the developing technology wasn't quite as obvious. As Chris said when talking about this switch, Dyson Racing just wants a chance to win or lose on the team's merit - hence the switch to the class where parity of opportunity is a little better defined.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James