Old 2 Jan 2007, 11:37 (Ref:1803339)   #12
Rubinho
Racer

United Kingdom
Cambridge, UK
Rubinho should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucky
3. AIM is cheap enough but the software is hokey and it lacks a lot of features. Motec is good but too pricey these days. Pi is way too expensive. Digitek/Magneti Marelli is very good and affordable but can be a pain to setup.
Don't discount Pi simply because of cost. The price may be higher than other systems but for good reasons. The software is widely considered to be easier to use and more powerful than other systems (see comment re. Digitek and Marelli systems being a pain to set up). What use is a cheaper system if it's difficult to get working and harder to analyse the logged data? Expensive is a relative term. Many of the UK circuits have Pi timing beacons saving the cost of buying one for another system and maintaining it. I would also say the technical support you get from Pi is better than from any other manufacturer. Plenty of FFords use Pi in the UK and there are support engineers out at (for example) British F3/GT rounds where FFord also run. I doubt you'd see a Marelli/AIM/Bosch/Motec guy there!

DISCLAIMER: Without giving too much away I may be biased, although the opinions are all mine. Send me a PM and I'll try and offer more advice if you're interested.