Thread: the going rate
View Single Post
Old 19 Jan 2007, 13:36 (Ref:1819361)   #32
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerbaiter
being a motorsport photographer is preferable to working down a coal mine whether is raining on a test day or not.
Absolutely, however working down a coal mine would at least (I hope) earn you a living wage.

I suspect many people here see it as something they enjoy which might earn them a bit of extra beer money, over and above their regular 9-5 job. They happily forget the cost of their time, travel expenses and equipment involved. My point was that all too often I see, both here and on other forums, newcomers thinking there's easy money to be made.

Once you treat it as your your sole income and need to account for every expense, suddenly the maths don't add up as they expected. As Happy snapper says there are very few genuine full time motorsports photographers. Incidentally I was going to add Jeff Bloxham to that list but he's been known to do non-motorsports photography as well.