Thread: Lant RTs
View Single Post
Old 24 Feb 2007, 11:12 (Ref:1850452)   #25
andrewmacdonald
Rookie

andrewmacdonald should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have been through some old South African race programmes I have and the most number of cars entered for a race was on 1 November 1986 with four to be driven by Trevor van Rooyen, Tony Martin, Alan Dunlop and Billy Maloney. This was the race when Wayne Taylor and Bernard Tilanus fought out for the championship. I think there were only about 10 cars that started and some were Can-am's. TVR was entered for many rounds that year but never actually raced. It seems that year often cars were entered but never turned up, in total there were only two cars in the championship and about 6 regular open wheel cars, the rest were Can-Am's. By this stage most of the European cars had been returned to Europe. The only car from that era still definately in the country is the championship winning Ralt RT4 of Wayne Taylor.

My previous post about Scribante was correct, the cars entered were to be driven by Wayne Lahner, Matt Keyser (who went on to design the Matt-a-DAW Formula Ford and Formula GTi cars) and Roy Klomfass (he never raced and was replaced by Wayne Taylor.) That is the Roy Klomfass who took Rory Byrne to Europe in the 1970's to help in his Formual Ford campaign, I think the rest is history about Rory.

In these later programmes the Lant's are entered as RR and a year number, such as 1985 when it was a RR85, although I am not sure what updates were made. The Lant's entered for the first Kyalami round on 29 january 1983 were entered for Dave Charlton and Wayne Lahner in Lant 83A's.