Thread: Early Pole Day
View Single Post
Old 15 May 2007, 01:56 (Ref:1913592)   #15
Alwaysfirst
Veteran

United Kingdom
The rural idyl.
Alwaysfirst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is easy to criticise but there are many good points in it, whether you like the man or not.

1) He is right in saying that the crowd for qualifying was poor, even though the line-up is looking good.
2) It is hard to argue that in todays big money racing a much bigger purse woould be more attractive to more teams. More & better prizes are always likely to attract more entries if they know that the entry can be paid for, or is worth entering. However, just saying get a title sponsor is very simplistic. If only it was that simple...
3) I disagre with his ideas for the car design. It is stupidly simplistic & very probably dangerous...though more than one main manufacturer & engine supplier is always a good thing, if somewhat harder to find.
4) His ideas for the first day are very wrong. That day is needed for rookies & returning veterans. IMS is just too fast & potentially dangerous to just let non-full time drivers out there with the big boys. Even an Andretti appreciates the need for this session. Have free entry to the public in the first full test in order to get your PR.
5) Why not sell each practice day to a sponsor & have rock bottom entry prices to the practices. If it gets a bit more money into the series along with more sponsors then all the better. The prizes for the fastest in the sessions is also an acceptable idea, if there is a reasonable source for that money.
6) IMO qualifying would be better over 3 days allocating places 1-12, 13-24 & 25-33 along with bump day. I would agree that 3 runs per driver is all that is needed. If you can't get a run together in that time then you shouldn't be in the field...though I would allow these cars an attempt on bump day.
7) I strongly agree that the clash with NASCAR is very undesirable & that a lot of big names cannot enter due to the clash. However, I would rather NASCAR was encouraged to leave the weekend of the race free, than have the 500 much earlier or on a different day.

Whilst I don't agree with a lot of what he does say I can see that some of it does make sense. It would be nice if instead of just saying that an article was s***, people could discuss the good points of the article. I'm not trying to get you to like the man, just to be reasonable with his ideas.

RIP Marco Simoncelli, 1987-2011. 2008 250cc champion