View Single Post
Old 3 Jun 2007, 22:22 (Ref:1927966)   #33
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I'd bet that especially with the temporary venues, it is often impossible to know if you've started negiations soon enough ahead of time. I should think the windows of opportunity for them are rather limited, as far as getting the ball rolling. And how many months did it take to finalize things for Vegas or Phoenix? You CANNOT know a full year ahead how things will pan out and thus what you can reasonably plan for the following year.

And before you jump on me about how they should be running more permanent venues then; many of those venues weren't drawing the crowds. Laguna was a scheduling screw-up, but the others were declining without that kind of shuffling going on. A sanction can do wider area promotions, but if the locals won't do an adequate job in their region, the sanction doesn't have the resources to fill that kind of a gap for 15-20 races a year, period! Often, the best research and focus groups are wrong as well (kind of like exit polls), which doesn't make local marketing by the sanction any easier.

For those who are thinking of NASCAR, that's just a case of utter saturation of the viewing audience to the point where you have to be a hermit to not be aware of it if you're in this country.