Old 5 Jun 2007, 21:29 (Ref:1929700)   #320
corliss
Racer

Australia
Northern Ireland
corliss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA
It's certainly going to be an interesting challenge.

Just a fairly random thought- thinking back to the previous page, it was posted that Geert acquired it from a French owner who'd bought it as the 85 Schlesser car, which it apparently isn't.

Ken Clarke described it as maybe a Group 1 car, so could it be an early chassis (either an ex-Sanyo car or the ex-Metge car) car that after being raced in France was subsequently adapted and given a cosmetic update for use as a display car or similar, which might go some way to explaining some of the odd features Skip commented on- the mixture of Gp1/GpA bodywork, possibly standard engine, wrong exhaust etc?
Car now home after an interesting trip and meeting Belgiums answer to Arthur Daly. The car is Definately NOT a French Metge car, but after stopping off at ken`s it appears to be one of the Sanyo Grp1 cars, DPR shell, everything seems to match photo`s from a french magazine track test of that car, interior fittings, underbonnet details etc. The shell has had about 5 different paint schemes but the original Sanyo blue is still underneath it all. Has Std running gear fitted so was probably used as a show car and updated over the years, hence the later bodyparts, one of the coats of paint is dark blue, could have been painted in Gitannes colours once. Obviously will have to be restored as Sanyo spec, as soon as I can get some paint off the roof I hope to find a drivers name still there.
Geert evaded the question of a second race car claiming he never had one and had never mentioned it!! Free road car was a total rust bucket early car minus Engine.
I will update as I find out more about car. Skip

Last edited by corliss; 5 Jun 2007 at 21:33.