View Single Post
Old 16 Jun 2007, 10:54 (Ref:1938254)   #113
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
This is getting funny! So, Danica should hide or something since she has not won a race? Something finally happens that brings PR TO open-wheel racing and now y'all are critical because I guess you want some other kind of PR.

Geez!

Well if winning is a requirement for popularity, then I am going to nip over to the F1 forum and tell folks there who love Jean Alesi that since he only won once, they should no longer like him. Or Nick Heidfeld. In NASCAR, Michael Waltrip is very popular despite a small # of wins.

My point here is that there is no accounting for what might grab the attention of the "casual" fan. To those who are "in" to open wheel then you will have your preferences based on your knowledge of the sport. Fair enough. But remember, before you start bad-mouthing Driver X because their popularity has not been deemed worthy by you, it is exactly that popularity which is bringing attention (and therefore sponsors) to the sport.

Like who you want. Appreciate the fact that the positives outweigh the negatives here.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.