View Single Post
Old 17 Jul 2007, 08:05 (Ref:1965418)   #49
Norbert
Racer

England
Norbert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To further clarify my earlier post stating that as Observer I request only myself and flags to carry whistles. I agree wholeheartedly with all the comments stating that there should at all times be someone available to whistle whilst we are trackside. The flags should never have their eyes off the track, I request that they act my eyes when I can't (talking to race control etc). Provided that I feel that there is sufficient 'whistle cover' between myself and flags I request that no other marshals carry them.

Aside from my concerns about people potentially being injured by having objects ripped from their necks I can recall 2 incidents where a whistle around the neck or attached to zips have delayed marshals getting to place of safety. In both incidents the marshals in question were about to return to the safe side of the bank. In the 1st instance the whistle hanging around their neck got caught around the wing mirror of a saloon car. In the 2nd the whistle that was in their pocket had come out whilst dealing with a single seater, it was attached to the zip, the whistle then became tangled around the wishbone.

In both incidents they had to spend potentially precious seconds untangling themselves before returning to safety.

PS I will be observing on Post 12 at Thruxton for trucks this weekend if anyone wants to say Hello or discuss my reasoning any further.