View Single Post
Old 20 Jul 2007, 20:30 (Ref:1968622)   #22
chris1600
Rookie

England
Gloucestershire
chris1600 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My two pence worth........

Limiting to 3 sets is a good idea. I raced using one set of tyers last year (and will do this year) and I only had one set of rims. Now I have a new set of rims and my 14 month old tyres as spares.

Buying three sets of tyres would cost £1200!!! OK, so racing is expensive and any ideas/plans to try to limit spending would be silly and pointless. However, the difference between the big budgets and the small budgets is huge. In the paddock at the WHT last year amongst all the big posh motorhomes and caravans my Dad and I slept in the back of a normal van, I don't have lots of spares and don't plan to have an engine rebuild at the end of the year (certainly not 3 or 4 times during it!).

As for safety, FF1600 isnt dangerous. Maybe if we were racing around the TT course it might be an issue but Combe, Oulton and Mallory arn't scary (at least at the sppeds I go).

Of course it may not matter that much as the people who I race against in the latter part of the grid are in the same situation as myself.

But thats what I think, for what its worth..........