Thread: BMW 6 series
View Single Post
Old 31 Jul 2007, 05:24 (Ref:1976867)   #58
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
dj4monie is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Your right big budgets would not be welcomed in the ALMS for the most part, you snuff out the smaller private teams.

But in return for "Walter Mitty" you would get hellaous battles that would have us directly comparing it with the Golden days of Group C.

In the very near future the you might see a LMP line up made up for Acura (Honda), Porsche, Toyota and maybe a Korean manufacturer that is gaining BIG time market share on both sides of the Atlantic.

Anyway, the M6 is the car BMW needs to market even thought it sells fairly well with just magazine reviews.

But from day one, when BMW submitted the car, they made no secret that they wanted favorable "treatment" by the FIA/ACO in "adjustments" made to the M6 to make it competitive with the benchmarks in that class.

Personally I don't think BMW would have needed to worry so much, the Aston isn't the most aero friendly design either, but you know it manages to run pretty quickly when the track conditions allow for it. I believe BMW could have built an M6R to that same forumla - BIG ENGINE/LOTS OF POWER, decent aero and brakes.

Excellent tires will mask some short comings - See Aston Martin.

I just don't think they wanted to pull money from their F1 program to do it. And like many manufacturers these days they should be looking to package a car like this for sale to would-be and present GT teams and use flagship team AC Schizer to run rough shod over Corvette in the ALMS, you know Charlie Lamy would love to have a shot at Doug Fehan...lol

and BMW would spare nothing to beat the current bench mark...

Which would make for Battle Royals at Sebring, Le Mans, Petit & Road America.

C'mon Mario, you know you wanna do it...