View Single Post
Old 19 Aug 2007, 03:02 (Ref:1991677)   #75
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by indycool
Purist, I'll try to help start John:

Concrete actions that need to be taken -- I don't know. It MAY be past that.

Specific events that should be kept or dropped -- CC hasn't fulfilled its announced schedule one time since it started. It inherited some money-losing races from CART and had to keep some (like Portland) to fill out a schedule. Some of its new events worked (like Edmonton), some haven't. But the scramble is to find promoters to hold their events, not make decisions on what should be kept or dropped...that isn't the choice to be made.

Specific sponsors to court -- I don't think it's for lack of trying to find sponsors. I'm sure they've scoured all of KK's Silicon Valley connections and Forsythe's Canadian connections. I'm sure they've made proposals. I believe they've worked at it and just been told no.

Specific teams to court -- Bachelart/Conquest is the only team to move from the IRL to CC. I would think they would probably go to the Atlantic list, as they projected that teams would move up. I don't see F1 putting "B" teams in there, or IRL teams jumping, or anything out of the blue.

Specific people to court -- See specific sponsors to court. If you mean executives, I doubt that the ex-SCCA types in there are going to conquer the world and I think there's also unreasonable expectations of them to do so. The Peter Ueberroths and Pete Rozelles don't come along very often and when those of their type do, they don't last long with the powers that be. These powers act no different.

Running short- and long-term operations -- Cotman seems respected for the way he runs the races. Long-term? Too many short-term things to fix financially and administratively to deal with long-term.

The figurehead used to be Eidswick and is now Johnson as the fallguys. BoD? The series owners might as well do it. They're making all the calls, anyway and it's their money.

Venues -- See events above. There ARE no backups when you hafta schedule a street race for Dec. 2 in Phoenix.

TV Networks -- The current crop is the best they've had with ABC and ESPN. A 0.4 rating from Road America on ABC? 'Spose ABC will blame CC and vice versa. That's the way it usually goes.
Uhhhhhhhhhhh......... IC where are the concrete actions to take???? I don't see anything in that discourse that suggests any "concrete" actions for champcar to move on to improve the sport, just a lot of conjecture. Give me something "concrete" I can take to the champcar ownership and say "indycool said you need to do XYZ and here's why and here's how were gonna do it!"