View Single Post
Old 30 Aug 2007, 06:13 (Ref:1999814)   #22
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
dj4monie is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxk1
Until someone comes up with a formula that will make the petrol P1s competitive with the diesels, I think any talk of an Aston Martin or Corvette P1 car is premature. These companies are not going to spend millions of dollars to finish second. They will either need to develop an engine that meets the rules specifications that can compete with the torque of a diesel or they will need to find a diesel engine somewhere. The last time I looked, neither Aston Martin nor Corvette had such a diesel in the works!

DK
Maybe the Gas/Petrol cars can be competitive with things "as-is" and here's my reason...

Hybrids!

Yes "Sparky" was about 10 years too early but the concept and idea was CORRECT!

To make Petrol cars competitive they can turn to electronic "supercharging" like what is found in the Lexus LS/GS H series cars which boast 20-30% hp increase if I am not mistaken.

Honda has already been talking to Zytek about its hybrid tech and DON'T BE SURPRISED if Acura shows up in LMP1 in 2009 with a Hybrid V8 powered car that every bit as fast as Audi's 3rd/4th generation Diesel R10. GM could also make this jump as well.

It would either that or turbocharging. The AER is a poor example because honesty the best team to run the car Lola/AER V8 combo has been Dyson and that was the first season.

Nobody on the level of Porsche or Acura have played with twin turbo V8's in an LMP car and to be honest, as Gale Banks has said "Anywhere turbocharging is allowed it has dominated"

I'll add to that: Being Gas or Diesel power makes NO DIFFERENCE.

Last time there was a dominate N/A car was the Jag V12... You can't say the "Lion's V10 powered car was vs watered down competition and the "Silver Arrows" still won the Championship, they had twin turbo V8's....

Let's not get hasty with putting an anchor on the R10, let's get a proper factory effort to give Audi a run for its money and then if they aren't competitive give them a boost, but NOT BEFORE.